Friday 31 January 2014

El Jadida

We are parked up on a campsite in El Jadida. The location is ok and the place is packed but the facilities, ie toilets and showers are filthy, thank goodness we don't have to use them and can use our on board facilities. There is a cafe on site serving hot meals but if the standard of cleanliness is comparable to elsewhere on the site we'll give it a miss I think.

We set off from Rabat this morning during the morning rush hour which made for an interesting drive until we hit the motorway after half an hour or so. It's pretty much everyone for themselves, especially on roundabouts but these Moroccan drivers don't scare me, no siree. I can change direction at the last moment with the best of them and Paul and Chris who were again following me today can vouch for that! Anyway we got here in one piece and after some lunch set off to explore the town. We didn't do too much exploring to be honest, we were both a bit "walked out" after yesterday's tour but what we did see of the town looked lively and bustling. A walk in and around the citadel on the walls, complete with cannon and then back via the promenade. The beach is wide and we lost count of the number of five or six a side football games that were being played, the same in the small park and virtually any relatively flat and vaguely rectangular piece of land was taken over for an impromptu game. A lot of the lads were quite skillful which was a surprise what with me thinking Chamakh was the best Morocco had to offer.

The other thing that has surprised me over the last few months is the number of motorhomers who travel with dogs. I reckon on any given campsite between twenty five and thirty percent of the folk will have a dog with them, some people have two dogs. Now, I like dogs but the constant yapping gets a bit tedious after a while. I don't want to generalise or resort to cheap stereotypes (so I will) but it's mostly French folk who have dogs. Small dogs. Which they carry about. I can't recall seeing any other nationality, other than Americans and there's none of them here, carry a dog. They've got four legs for goodness sake, put them down!

Tomorrow we are off to Safi about 130 kms down the coast and the plan is to stop at Oualidia on the way for lunch. No motorways tomorrow, we're taking the scenic route. I think I'll let Paul lead, he's got the map after all.

View of our parking spot last night taken from a rooftop in the Medina-

They still build traditional boats here in El Jadida-

 

2 comments:

  1. You're right about the dogs Dad. Now I don't want to resort to cheap stereotypes either, "and I'm not sexist but".. it's only French women who carry dogs. Middle class French women.. I'll stop there!
    Les six nations has kicked off - France V England this evening. If France win (and pigs fly), I have to make tea. If England win, the lads have to go and get me a big fat greasy kebab and chips....
    ps oops, it's half time - I've checked the fridge, it's ok, I've got loads of left-overs. Just in case..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I am enjoying the pics and hearing about your travels. I'm sure you are taking no prisoners on those roundabouts!! X

    ReplyDelete