Sunday 22 June 2014

Still in luxury with the bird dog on!

Music eh? For more than half a century I've listened to popular music. BBC Radio, the light programme, big bands, watered down jazz, nothing too offensive and then , Radio Luxembourg .. and then ..... Elvis, Buddy Holly, Eddy Cochrane, WTF!!! '62 - The Beatles ( I can still remember the first time I heard Love Me Do on a tinny tranny on Holloway Road) and then the Stones and then it got better and better. We all know the history of music from the '60's onwards and it was a fantastic journey. In fact it was a great journey from the '40's but..... I was born too late for that, I'm still catching up. The journey goes on.

I've enjoyed every minute of it. There never was a bad decade. There never was.

So.....now I'm listening to a C&W tape given away free by the NME maybe 20 years ago. It's called "The Tape With No Name". Country music eh, roll your eyes and laugh. And then take a slap round the head and listen again. Another slap, head cleared and now you're getting it.

Country Music - lyrically never been bettered. Really, it hasn't. Lennon/McCartney, Motown, Stax, Beach Boys, name 'em and they'll all acknowledge their lyrical heritage. Of course sounds came out of the blues and the immigrant music from England,Ireland, Scotland with a touch of German polka.

I don't really know where this is going but if you like Springsteen, Kraftwerk, Led Zeppelin, Jay Z then you're already a country music fan. You just don't know it yet.

Pat

 

 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Ellada.....In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.....

    enjoy
    Bernd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bernd,
    I love the way I have to google a translation for every one of your comments, it's great. Now, if you mean we are in the Garden of Eden that's pretty much true. And if you are referring to the song by Iron Butterfly then I am really impressed. You obviously misspent some of your youth too.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...some of my youth??...all of my life, heehee.

      Enjoy the Mani paradise, good luck,

      Bernd

      Delete