Friday 22 May 2015

Barracuda!!!

Friday 22nd May Camping Semeli 37.14962 22.89209.

We are parked up this evening at Camping Semeli at Plaka in the Pelleponese. It's a lovely little campsite which was only opened last year by two cousins. It's 30 metres from a quiet, shingle beach and 200 metres from a harbour with a mini-market, a few tavernas and that's about it. It's the most peaceful place we've stopped at for a long time. No dogs, hoopie birds, traffic, trains, church bells, frogs, or aeroplanes. The silence is deafening! We stopped here last year for a couple of days when the site had just opened and the cousins were such welcoming folk, starting a new business and adventure, that we felt we had to come back again this year to see how they were getting on. They had spent a lot of money on this site, there are pitches for motorhomes and tents and, of course, toilet and shower blocks - spotlessly clean. But they also created communal food preparation and dining areas with fridge/freezers and hobs and ovens and electric points. When the site was developed they laid the pitches out around the existing olive, peach and pine trees. They've created flower beds and the perfume is wonderful in the evening. Talking to the cousins this evening I got the impression that this could be a make or break year for them and I do hope they are successful after all the effort they have put in to the site.

This morning before we left Napflion I watched the anglers on the quayside and looked at the techniques they were employing. One of them caught a tuna which must have weighed about 6lbs and so I went to the local tackle shop and bought a few more bits and pieces. When we arrived here this afternoon we walked down to the harbour and I could see a variety of fish! We came back, Phil settled down with a book and I set off back on my bike to see if I could catch our tea. A couple of local guys turned up just after I arrived and they offered advice and we swapped fishing tales. Sport commenced and after ten minutes or so - bang! I'd hooked a fish! I landed it and they told me the local name and said it was a tasty fish. It was a barracuda!!

Not this Barracuda!

This one!

I brought it home and Phil lovingly cleaned, filleted and fried it. Mmmm, delicious. I tell you folks, life doesn't get much better.

Some pics from Ermioni at dawn (!) yesterday.

 

And just as the sun came over the hill and bathed the town.

 

Pat

 

No comments:

Post a Comment