Sunday 8 June 2014

Nea Anchialos update - The Weddings!

When we arrived here earlier the car park only had a couple of cars in it. It was pretty quiet. Late afternoon a load of cars went by with white ribbons, tooting their horns. We guessed it was a wedding party. A little later another group passed by. Then we saw a bride and groom having their photographs taken by the harbour. Then the car park got busy, really busy. We've had to park parallel to the kerb and most people have parked normally apart from a guy who parked in front of us also parallel - more of this later.

A bit later a massive Mercedes pulls up next to us and out steps another bride in a dress which Phil describes as a meringue with enormous cabbage roses stitched on and a diamanté overload. And a tiara. Because it's so hot our windows are wide open and they stick out a bit. As the bride exited the car we shouted at her just before she walked into one of the windows which would have been a little embarrassing for us all. And the tiara. Meanwhile more cars, scooters and motorbikes are flying around the car park. This is all at about 8pm. The bride and groom are taken away for photographs and we settle down again. Then the clown who has parked in front of us returns and can't get his car out because he is blocked in by the bride's Mercedes which has now been abandoned. So he comes to our door and asks if I can reverse a few metres. Or I think that's what he wanted 'cos I've got no Greek and he's got no English. Bear in mind I've had a couple of Ouzos, a glass or two of wine with our meal and I've just popped the top on a can of beer. I explain that if he hadn't parked like a jerk in the first place he wouldn't have a problem and, yes, I'll reverse a metre but he'll have to wait while I put the air back in the suspension 'cos I let it all out earlier when we parked to get level. He seemed satisfied with this. Well, he didn't hit me so I guess he was happy.

So now all is quiet again, I'm guessing the wedding parties are all in the hotel next door and they are either really quiet weddings, which I doubt, or the hotel is well soundproofed. However at some time tonight (this morning?) a whole lot of drunk folk are going to come back to the car park and move their cars. Yippee. And nobody is going to be in a hurry to go home 'cos it's a public holiday tomorrow. Seeing as we'll get no sleep anyway I think the best plan is to gate crash the parties but I would, wouldn't I, after the Ouzo, wine and beer?

Here are some pics of the happy couples, not too good because I was too far away but I'm sure all you married folk will shed a tear. And a picture of a pretty red boat.

 

I know it's in poor taste but I would love to have captioned this picture - back a bit, back a bit, SPLASH!!

 

Pat.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. wow...what an extraordinary experience....parking with the MH in the middle of a greek wedding.

    Na iste kala, wishing you well,
    Bernd

    ReplyDelete