Saturday 8 March 2014

Little bit windy

We are still parked up on the campsite in Alcala de Los Gazules, and a very nice campsite it is too. Unfortunately it's blowing a gale at the moment and has been for thirty six hours or so and according to the weather forecast shows no sign of abating in the next few days. We were awoken at about 4am yesterday with the van rocking in the wind and the awning groaning. I had a look outside and everything seemed safe so I crawled back to bed and lay there listening to the wind howling until I noticed a change in pitch to the awning noise. Had another look and sure enough one of the legs had dropped a bit. On with the clothes and spent the next five minutes battling the wind whilst I secured the awning, I know from experience that damaged parts are expensive to replace. Whilst it's blue skies, sunny and warm the wind hasn't stopped and we're getting a bit fed up with it now but not as fed up as the guy opposite whose caravan awning was shredded yesterday whilst he and his wife went out to do some shopping. Me and the guy next door tried to save it and we managed to take it down but it's not looking too good. They're an elderly couple and although they put a brave face on the situation when they returned I could tell they were upset. I've got some really strong tape with me and I've told them I'll have a go at a repair, but not till the wind drops a bit!

When we arrived there were only two other couples here on the site apart from us although a load of pitches were taken up with caravans with massive awnings and outside kitchens. Last night and today the place has really filled up with maybe twenty or so Gibraltese families who have come for the weekend, or maybe it's half term. They've swept out their caravans and generally spruced up their pitches, the kids are all playing football or basketball or tearing around on their bikes and their dogs are chasing each other round the site. It's a really nice atmosphere and I suspect the bar/restaurant will be rammed tonight. We won't be there as the elderly couple opposite have told us about the restaurant next door, which we passed when we went for a walk earlier. They went there for a meal last night, had three courses of delicious food with wine, water, bread etc for €11.50. That's for two people! I've just been down to book a table for tonight and the place is heaving with Spanish families enjoying a leisurely lunch and making what looks like a brave attempt to drink all the wine in the restaurant. The fact that we're five kilometres from the nearest town and there are about a dozen cars parked outside the restaurant is a bit worrying but, hey ho.

So it looks like we're stuck here till the wind drops, which is no great hardship. We're not on a schedule and as long as we get to Bilbao by the 18th all is ok.

Finally, for those of you wondering how the ukulele playing is coming along I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is that I've discovered that I only really need to learn three chords, F,G and C. (Punk never died did it?) The bad news is that I probably won't be playing them at the right time. Nevertheless I will be available for weddings and bar mitzvahs from mid June. Possibly.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment